Computational Linguistics & Psycholinguistics Research Center,
University of Antwerp
Mailing: Prinsstraat 13 (L), 2000 Antwerp, Belgium
Office: Room S.L.201, Lange Winkelstraat 40
+32 3 265 5220
I'm a postdoctoral researcher at the Computational Linguistics & Psycholinguistics Research Center
of the University of Antwerp, working on clinical NLP in the Accumulate
I obtained my doctoral degree from the University of Groningen, where I worked with Gertjan van Noord
. During my PhD years, I've also collaborated closely with Ivan Titov
. Previously, I was a master student at the University of Groningen and the Université de Lorraine, involved in the EMLCT
program. I obtained my university degree in translation studies
from the University of Ljubljana, Slovenia.
- CliCR: A Dataset of Clinical Case Reports for Machine Reading Comprehension. [bibtex | github]
Simon Šuster and Walter Daelemans. NAACL (long paper), 2018.
- Unsupervised patient representations from clinical notes with interpretable classification decisions. [bibtex | poster ]
Madhumita Sushil, Simon Šuster, Kim Luyckx and Walter Daelemans. NIPS Machine Learning for Health Workshop, 2017.
- Unsupervised Context-Sensitive Spelling Correction of English and Dutch Clinical Free-Text with Word and Character N-Gram Embeddings. [bibtex | code]
Pieter Fivez, Simon Šuster and Walter Daelemans. CLIN Journal, 2017.
- Unsupervised Context-Sensitive Spelling Correction of Clinical Free-Text with Word and Character N-Gram Embedding. [bibtex | code]
Pieter Fivez, Simon Šuster and Walter Daelemans. BioNLP, 2017.
- A Short Review of Ethical Challenges in Clinical Natural Language Processing. [poster | bibtex]
Simon Šuster, Stéphan Tulkens and Walter Daelemans. First Workshop on Ethics in NLP, EACL, 2017.
- Using Distributed Representations to Disambiguate Biomedical and Clinical Concepts. [bibtex | code]
Stéphan Tulkens, Simon Šuster and Walter Daelemans. BioNLP, 2016.
- Empirical studies on word representations. [bibtex]
Simon Šuster. PhD thesis, 2016.
- Bilingual Learning of Multi-sense Embeddings with Discrete Autoencoders. [bibtex | slides | code | video]
Simon Šuster, Ivan Titov and Gertjan van Noord. NAACL (long paper), 2016.
- Word Representations, Tree Models and Syntactic Functions. [bibtex | code ]
Simon Šuster, Gertjan van Noord and Ivan Titov. arXiv preprint arXiv:1508.07709, 2015.
- GLAD: Groningen Lightweight Authorship Detection. [bibtex | code]
Manuela Hürlimann, Benno Weck, Esther van den Berg, Simon Šuster and Malvina Nissim. Uncovering Plagiarism, Autorship and Social Software Misuse, CLEF, Author Identification challenge, 2015.
- An investigation into language complexity of World-of-Warcraft game-external texts. [bibtex]
Simon Šuster. arXiv preprint arXiv:1502.02655, 2015.
- From neighborhood to parenthood: the advantages of dependency representation over bigrams in Brown clustering. [bibtex | slides | code | data]
Simon Šuster and Gertjan van Noord. COLING, 2014.
- Semantic Mapping for Lexical Sparseness Reduction in Parsing. [bibtex]
Simon Šuster and Gertjan van Noord. ESSLLI Extrinsic Parse Improvement Workshop, 2013.
- Resolving PP-attachment ambiguity in French with distributional methods. [bibtex]
Simon Šuster. Master thesis, 2012.
- →Publications in Slovene
- Spelling correction with word and character n-gram embeddings. Invited talk at Vectors and Linguistics: a workshop on word embeddings, University of Leiden, March 2018.
- Technology developed at CLiPS. Accumulate industrial meeting, March 2018.
- Clinical Machine Comprehension with Case Reports. ATILA, 2017.
- Clinical Machine Comprehension Using Case Reports. (poster) American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA) Annual Symposium, 2017.
- What is attention in NNs? (with two examples) A 20-min tutorial, CLiPS, University of Antwerp, 2017.
- Representation learning for words. Guest lecture at the Current trends in AI master course, Free University of Brussels, 2017.
- Clinical Case Reports Dataset for Machine Reading. (poster) 27th meeting of Computational Linguistics in the Netherlands (CLIN), 2017.
- The challenges in concept detection for clinical texts. Accumulate industrial meeting, 2016.
- Towards clinical language understanding. ATILA, 2016.
- Clinical language processing: the first steps Annual meeting of CLiPS, 2016.
- Inducing multi-sense word representations multilingually. ATILA and CLIN, 2015.
- Who's the bad guy? OlympIKade: Informatiekunde Matchingsdag, 2015.
- Presentation of E. Bender's (2011) On Achieving and Evaluating Language-Independence in NLP. RUG Computational Linguistics reading group, 2015.
- Overview of Learning From Data’s Final Project: Author Verification. With Malvina Nissim. RUG Computational Linguistics reading group, 2015.
- Tree models, syntactic functions and word representations. The 25th meeting of Computational Linguistics in the Netherlands (CLIN), 2015.
- From perceptrons to word embeddings (a high-level introduction). RUG Computational Linguistics reading group, 2014.
- Extending Hidden Markov (tree) models for word representations. (poster) 23rd annual Belgian-Dutch Conference on Machine Learning (BENELEARN), 2014. [abstract]
- How to write a master's thesis: a computational linguist's view. RUG Research Master's in Linguistics meeting, April 2014, March 2015.
- Dependency-tuned word clusters for Dutch. The 24th meeting of Computational Linguistics in the Netherlands (CLIN), 2014.
- Reading group presentation on Reddy et al. 2011 paper on Dynamic and Static Prototypes For Semantic Composition. RUG Computational Linguistics reading group, 2013.
- Semantic Mapping for Lexical Sparseness Reduction in Parsing. ESSLLI Extrinsic Parse Improvement Workshop, 2013.
- The Brown et al. 1992 Clustering. RUG Computational Linguistics reading group, 2013.
- Semantic Mapping for Lexical Sparseness Reduction in Parsing. New Frontiers in Parsing and Generation Workshop, 2013.
- Lexical Association Analysis For Semantic-Class Feature Enhancement In Parsing. (poster) 23rd meeting of Computational Linguistics in the Netherlands (CLIN), 2013.
- Resolving PP-attachment ambiguity by distributional semantic modeling in the context of parsing of French. RUG Computational Linguistics reading group, 2012.
- The SSJ corpus in the context of Slovene reference corpora. With Olga Yeroshina Pobirk. 7th International Conference Practical Applications in Language and Computers, 2009.
- →Talks in Slovene
- Computational Linguistics, UA_2010FLWTAA. With prof. dr. Walter Daelemans and dr. Guy de Pauw
- POS-tagging & Minimum Edit Distance
- Syntactic Analysis & Parsing
- Semantic Role Labeling & Frame Semantics
- Learning from data. With dr. Malvina Nissim
- final project: Authorship verification
- topics from 2013/2014
- Learning from data. With prof. dr. Gertjan van Noord
- Introduction to Weka, The Perceptron
- Brown Clustering
- Linear Regression
- final project: Movie revenue prediction from reviews
- Corpustaalkunde (Corpus linguistics), 2013. Assisting dr. Gosse Bouma
- Corpustaalkunde (Corpus linguistics), 2011. Assisting dr. Gosse Bouma